What is a child arrangement order?

30 September 2022
When you are divorcing or separating, you will need to make the appropriate arrangements for your children. These arrangements may include whom a child is to live with, spend time with or even have contact with. It can also entail the length of time the child can spend with each party. A child arrangement order is necessary when an agreement cannot be met through conversation and compromise. In this circumstance, the court will decide and detail the arrangements for a child, which will then be legally binding.
Image shutterstock 1055292173
Child arrangement orders are usually issued by the biological parents of a child after a divorce. However, anyone with parental responsibility can apply. 

Why choose John Fowlers?

At John Fowlers Solicitors we are highly experienced in family law and we understand how distressing it can be when disputes over the arrangements for children arise. In every case, we ensure that the child’s wellbeing is the number one priority.

Here at John Fowlers, we aim to:

  • Ensure that the children are well cared for financially, emotionally and mentally
  • Ensure both parties are clear as to their commitments to the children in terms of both financial and emotional support
  • Secure your children’s wellbeing at all times 
  • Prepare and adjust the children for future changes as a result of the court order

We understand the difficulties parents have, and we can give you expert advice on how to proceed that is both practical and sensitive.

The Court Process 

We can prepare an application to the Court for a Child Arrangement Order on your behalf, and represent you when the case goes to Court. We will be beside you all the way advising, assisting and supporting you.
Depending on age, the court will consider a child’s wishes when making a decision. In addition, the child’s physical, emotional, educational needs and how they can best be met will be taken into consideration. The parents capabilities will be discussed, along with any past incidents that could be relevant to the case.
If an existing Court Order has been breached, then this can lead to a fine or imprisonment. The Court may even consider a change of residence if there are repeated breaches. The decision will be based on what is in the best interest of your child, and not as a punishment to a parent.
If you have any questions about the arrangements for your children and need some advice on what to do, contact us for honest advice from one of our experienced family law solicitors.

Karen Couch
01206 576151