Contact Us

Colchester Office

Town Hall Chambers
St Runwald Street
Essex CO1 1DS

T 01206 576151
F 01206 761916

Brightlingsea Office

12 Victoria Place

T 01206 302694
F 01206 302961

Clacton-on-Sea Office

Jackson Chambers
Jackson Road
Essex CO15 1JA

T 01255 429735
F 01206 761916

West Mersea Office

45 High Street
West Mersea
Essex CO15 1JA

T 01206 384441
F 01206 761916

Sign up to our Newsletter


Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)



In order to sell alcoholic drinks as well as carrying out certain other licensable activities, such as the provision of late night refreshment, including hot food and drink, either on or off premises, and certain regulated entertainment, it is necessary to obtain a licence from the local authority.

This will usually include an application for a personal licence, a premises licence, a club premises certificate, or temporary event licensing. Alternatively, it may be that a business already having the benefit of such a licence is to be transferred in which case an application will be necessary for the transfer of the existing licensed activities to the new owner.

We at John Fowlers Solicitors can assist in relation to all the necessary steps to acquire new licences, whether a personal licence, premises licence, club premises certificate or temporary event licence, or in respect of an application for the transfer of existing premises licensing, which application often needs to be co-ordinated with the transfer of the business itself, either through our Commercial conveyancing or landlord and tenant departments.

For more information concerning this area of law or for a consultation please contact Kim Kennedy via

Get in Touch

Kim Kennedy

T 01206 576151
E Via

Francesca Root

T 01206 576151